Friday, June 06, 2008

Mojo Mom Podcast talks about "Parenting, Inc."


Do you ever wonder how mega-superstores filled with endless aisles of baby gear came about?

Listen to the new Mojo Mom Podcast interview with Parenting, Inc. author Pamela Paul to find out.

Pamela has researched the entire universe of baby gear, classes, and the whole lifestyle that is marketed to new parents.

There is a ton of unnecessary stuff out there, but I couldn't resist asking Pamela for some of the resources and products that she thinks are effective, worthwhile investments.

Here's what Pamela Paul recommends for parents confronted with a perpetually unhappy sleepless little babe:

* First, to consult a sleeping coach. My personal favorites are based in LA but can do phone conferences anywhere. Check out Sleepyplanet.com.

* Second would be a very good lactation consultant, IBCLCE certified

* And third would be a Miracle Blanket.


Thanks to Pamela for those recommendations. I was amazed by the video on the Miracle Blanket site. A wiggly newborn gets securely swaddled in the blanket, and she sure looks happy at the end.

I would have never believed how obsessed I could get about sleep until I had a newborn. We struggled mightily during the early months with our fussy baby. I still don't know exactly what "colic" is, but I am pretty sure she fit the bill. Her developing nervous system was on jangly overdrive much of the time, especially during the evening "Witching Hours." She did grow out of it, but it took us long time to get a good night's sleep for all of us.

I second Pamela's recommendation of lactation consultants, and would suggest a new Mom or new parent class as well. You can often find lactation consultantsand classes offered by local hospitals or birth centers and it generally does not matter whether you actually had your baby there or not.

I also recommned The Sleep Book for Tired Parents (an older book but one of the few to give an overview of several approaches) and Dr. Marc Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

There are other newer resources out there that I have not personally tried. Please share your favorite fussy newborn resources in the comments section.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

Comforting Your Crying Baby and The No-Cry Sleep Solution were two of my favorites.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home