Monday, June 02, 2008

What's next for Mojo Mom -- a new edition!

This spring I have not blogged as much as I would have liked, but I have been working hard behind the scenes to launch the next phase of my work as Mojo Mom, and I can now share a major piece of news with you that answers the question, "What's next?"

I am thrilled to announce that Gotham Books will be publishing an extensively updated and expanded edition of Mojo Mom next spring, in time for Mother's Day 2009. This is such an exciting opportunity for me. So much has happened over the past few years -- a whole new cultural discussion about motherhood has taken place, and a revitalized motherhood movement and activist communities such as MomsRising have emerged. I have kept up with the latest developments by reading everything I could get my hands on since publishing Mojo Mom, and writing my blog, and now I will be able to bring those fresh insights into the new book as well.

What I have learned from my author experience so far


My experiences as an author tie directly back into my Mojo Mom philosophy. I have learned that when you have an idea that you are ready to commit to as a consuming passion, you should pursue it and develop it as fully as you can on your own, even if you run into discouraging obstacles.

When I first approached well-known publishers with my book proposal back in 2003, I was (understandably) turned down because I was an unknown author without a track record or "platform." But I knew that I was not going to develop a track record just sitting around feeling bad about being rejected, so I took matters into my own hands. I launched MojoMom.com, started blogging, and published my book independently. After that I kept writing and worked hard to bring my message to the media.

After all that work, I have reached the point where I attracted the interest of a top-notch literary agent and major publisher. I am looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish with this new alliance.

You can't count on waiting until someone else proves that it can be done; by then your opportunity may have passed. If I hadn't worked hard to launch this project on my own, I never would have reached this point. Many other motherhood books have been written, but because I've been researching and writing about the topic continuously for five years, I feel confident that I still have another important, unique contribution to make.

I stand by my past writing--I am still me, and my underlying philosophy is consistent, but I have learned so much over the past three years and I am thrilled to be able to bring that insight into the new book.

A final note, the original Mojo Mom is almost sold out on the distributor level, so if you wish to get a copy I'd advise you to do so now, because once it is sold out it will be difficult to get on Amazon or in bookstores.

Thanks to all of you who have read my book and blog, or listened to our podcast. Your comments and feedback have kept me intrigued by the topic of motherhood for all this time.

I plan on having a fun summer, enjoying time with my family--and I will also be hard at work writing the new book for you!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

Congratulations! That is so great!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Amy! I love your journey thus far, and can relate to it in many ways. Best of luck with the revisions and new writing, and enjoy the process.

9:37 AM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Thanks for your support, PunditMom and Amy V. It means a lot to me.

One insight I had yesterday is that while I have had to work really hard to get where I am as an author, it has been 100% worth it because I made sure that every step of the way I was doing something that I enjoyed.

That is important even when you are staying the course through I a difficult period, such as when I was in graduate school. I learned that I could not postpone happiness until after my 6-year-long (!) program was completed. I needed to find a way to be happy in the moment.

A benefit of getting older and more experienced that now I have more power to create a rewarding work life, even when I am paying my dues in a new field.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers! I'm spending my summer vacation the same way, happily writing No. 2 whether it's worth it or not!

6:11 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

That's fantastic news, Karen! I can't wait to learn more about your new work. I hope you'll write about it on Cheerio Road. And you can be sure I'll write about Momma Zen in the new edition of Mojo Mom.

8:20 AM  
Blogger High Heeled Mama said...

Congrats! What exciting news. And your words:

"My experiences as an author tie directly back into my Mojo Mom philosophy. I have learned that when you have an idea that you are ready to commit to as a consuming passion, you should pursue it and develop it as fully as you can on your own, even if you run into discouraging obstacles."

Perfect advice for my situation right now. How'd you know?!

Best of luck!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home