Monday, December 04, 2006

27 things you didn't know about me.

My blogsophere buddy PunditMom "tagged" me with this quiz. If you are interested in learning a few random tidbits about me, read on.

1. Explain what ended your last relationship? Seeing that I've been married for over 10 years, my last boyfriend breakup feels like ancient history. The closest I've come recently to this experience is having a very good friend choose to not make time for me in her life, even after I tried to reach out to her. Painful, but I have to come to terms with with the fact that this friendship is dying.

2. When was the last time you shaved? Quick shift from serious to trivial....yesterday.

3. What were you doing this morning at 8 a.m.? Getting my daughter ready for school.

4.What were you doing 15 minutes ago? Reading PunditMoms' blog.

5. Are you any good at math? I was competent at math but I never loved it. At my 20-year high school reunion last month, I realized that all the advanced math I learned is quite unnecessary in my current life. I needed it to get into grad school but that's about it. Remember graphing all those functions in high school? Yikes, I hated that. It should be said that I had the boring math teacher as opposed to the inspirational and beloved Ms. Carol Gilmore. One of my friends who had Ms. Gilmore is now completing her Ph. D. in math education, to which I say Rock On!



6. Your prom night? Sober and fairly chaste 3 years running. Good thing, considering that none of those relationships ever took off. They were photo ops rather than true love. You asked this the week after I had my high school photos out for my reunion, so I am posting a photo, cropped to protect the innocent. You should have seen my white puffy-sleeved dress from the next year! If you could have filled those babies with helium I would have floated away. [The photo is from 1985. My current photo illustrates that your high school hairstyle is not your destiny.]

7. Do you have any famous ancestors? Roger Williams, founder of Rhode Island. Ralph Waldo Emerson--a poorly documented but interesting connection. I apparently had ancestors fighting on both sides of the Revolutionary War and I am really glad they didn't kill each other.

8. Have you had to take a loan out for school? No. One good thing I can say about grad school is that it paid for itself.

9. Do you know the words to the song on your MySpace profile? I would if had a MySpace profile. The only reason I can see to get a MySpace profile is to ask Pam Beesley to be my friend.

10. Last thing received in the mail? Too much mail of all kinds! One holiday card so far.

11. How many different beverages have you had today? Two lattes and one cup of herb tea.

12. Do you ever leave messages on people’s answering machine? Yes, of course.

13. Who did you lose your CONCERT virginity to? Men at Work opening for INXS in 1983. Followed closely by the very cool concert in Veterans' Stadium in Philadelphia featuring The Police, Joan Jett, Madness and REM. (We were all there to see the Police and we were like, "Who the heck is Rem?") Those were the days when I actually listened to the music being played on MTV. (VH1, I am all ready for my invitation to appear as a guest host on I Love the 80's.)

14. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach? No but I love to dig and to build sand castles.

15. What is out your back door? A newly cleaned up back porch, hooray, and a view of a beautiful Carolina woodland.

16. Any plans for Friday night? You had to ask about the night when my big plans involve a Pump It Up bouncy house birthday party. I am a bystander but that's where I will be on Friday night. My Mom and I are also trying to find a time to go see the new movie The Fountain.

17. Do you like what the ocean does to your hair? Not particularly, but if I'm in Hawaii or Monterey, CA I promise not to complain.

18. Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different popcorns? No, and I am happy to say I have reached the time in my life where I not longer crave one.

19. Have you ever been to a planetarium? Yes! Our family loves astronomy.

20. Do you re-use towels after you shower? Of course, since I don't see a maid standing by ready to replace them.

21. Some things you are excited about? Going away with my husband for the weekend after the holidays. Becoming involved in MomsRising. The 2008 election season. What can I say? I have become a political junkie on behalf of Moms everywhere. 15 years of listening to NPR + writing Mojo Mom = a political me.

22. What is your favorite flavor of JELLO? Ah, Jello, getting back to my Midwestern rootss. I'll take strawberry with lots of fruit in it, no cool whip on top.

23. Describe your keychain(s)? One has a silver and turquoise concha on it. The other has a MojoMom.com photo frame keychain with a picture of my #1 girl. I have two sets of keys because it's hard enough to keep track of as it is.

24. Where do you keep your change? In every random corner of my purse except and in a bowl on my dresser.

25. What kind of winter coat do you own? I finally come to terms with the fact that, yes it gets cold in North Carolina, especially for early morning dog walks, so I just recently bought a puffy down coat, making me a much happier woman.

26. What was the weather like on your graduation day? I must be a graduation good luck charm. It was warm and sunny all 3 times I graduated, plus the 3 years I taught!

27. Do you sleep with the door to your room open or closed? Closed, because leaving it open led to 18 months of sleep deprivation!

28. Did you read this far? Consider yourself tagged (you know, if you wanna do it)!!

2 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

MojoMom, Thanks for being a sport! I love your answers AND your prom pic. I was too scared to post mine!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the HS picture. I should bust out a few of those. And your comment about HS hairstyle rings true for me; since my hair decided leave me shortly thereafter.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home