Thursday, August 03, 2006

Blogging during the dog days of summer

On Monday I wrote about Helen Kirwan-Taylor's controversial article "Sorry, but my children bore me to death!" and I keep thinking about my response. It was lukewarm and level-headed to the point of being boring. Kirwan-Taylor's essay has gotten stuck in my brain, and I've thought of a more detailed critique, which I'll write about in my next post. What I didn't mention on Monday is that I am on vacation right now with my whole family (27 of us!) hanging out at a beautiful lake in northern Michigan. So I am having a lot of fun, and getting a much-needed chance to truly chill out. It was a lot easier to brush off Kirwan-Taylor than to get sucked into her drama.

Coincidentally, as I was preparing to start writing this posting, I was catching up on Broadsheet, and Lynn Harris had this to say about the story of a Charlotte, NC woman who is selling advertising space on her toddler son's clothing:

"Still, for all my crankiness, I just don't know. More than anything else, BuyJake.com just makes me want to roll my eyes, shrug my shoulders and say, 'Ya know, people are cuckoo.' But maybe that's because when the heat index is 187 degrees, shaking a fist is too much to ask."

It made me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who felt like the dog days of summer are no time to get worked up about people's crazy, quirky behavior. Especially when I could be swimming in my favorite lake instead.

Okay, my follow-up to Kirwan-Taylor is coming, so that I can at least stop thinking about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home