Monday, July 17, 2006

Egg-cellent advertising that's not all it's cracked up to be....

I was trying to gather the energy to blog today when I found a few things that came together in perfect synergy. I love it when that happens.

My friend Perri Kersh, a professional organizer also known as Neat Freak, is trying an experiment of buying only essential items for six months. I know there's a recent book by a woman who did this for a year, but Perri is trying it as a mother of two young kids. We all know how hard that is! She just started on July 13 and has a new blog, Enough is Enough where you can follow her experiences.

In Mojo Mom I wrote about how insane our mental environments have become, as we are bombarded with advertisements on a near-constant basis. I noticed a new one recently--now that North Carolina has a lottery, there are are new shiny, glitzy ads in the supermarket and other places. I swear I saw one on a stoplight pole (this is probably wrong in detail--I will try to find out where the ad really is that gave me this impression). More unavoidable mental garbage to process.

The process I call reclaiming your mind space is a challenge to mindfully consume stimuli in your environment, filtering out the noise whenever possible and letting in what is important or enjoyable. We have choices when it comes to broadcast media, but what are our rights to an advertising-free existence outside the media? A new frontier is about to be breached--one you've probably never thought of. The CBS television network is taking advantage of new laser technology to print advertising slogans on eggs. Yes, dear consumer, you'll be soon learning that their shows are "Funny Side Up." "Leave the Yolks to Us," they say. The image is indelible and can't be removed without breaking the egg, unlike, say, a sticker on a banana or a label on clothing. The New York Times reports that the company who developed the egg printing technology, EggFusion, sees the advantages of egg advertising this way--Consumers look at a single egg shells at least a few times: when they open a carton in the store to see if any eggs are cracked, if they transfer them from the carton to the refrigerator, and when they crack them open.

What's next, an animated image of Wilford Brimley appearing in the steam rising from my bowl of Quaker Oats, trying to sell me diabetes testing supplies?

I wish CBS would leave my breakfast alone. Dare I predict a backlash that will lead to articles headlined "Network has egg on its face?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning (and reading!) my blog. I really enjoyed your thoughts today, as well. My business slogan is "Clutter Bad, Neat Good"--and that goes for all environmental clutter--what you hear, see, watch, read, etc. I guess I'll just have to start purchasing my eggs at the farmer's market if I want to avoid ads for crap like "Big Brother 18!" As always, you inspire me to keep thinking and trying new things as a mom. Keep reading to see if we succeed with our little consumer-free project.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home