Monday, July 31, 2006

Controversy over "My children bore me to death"

Last week's piece by Helen Kirwan-Taylor, "Sorry, but my children bore me to death!" is creating waves, but to be honest, I haven't heard anything here that I haven't heard before. Yes, raising children involves a lot of boring work. It can be back-breaking and mind-numbing all in one day. And yes, it's taboo to say so. I spoke about this in Mojo Mom, but the groundwork was laid well before that. Anyone who has read Susan Maushart's book The Mask of Motherhood will recognize this as well-worn territory.

Kirwan-Taylor is more blunt than ususal, sort of a Linda-Hirshman-of-mommy-confessionals I guess. There are days I've felt the alientation she describes, but I believe it's possible to enjoy many activities because they are important to our kids, even if they aren't our first choice. And yes, there is a fine line between child-friendly and overly child-centered. Mojo Mom is all about striking that balance.

I'd love to interview Susan Maushart for The Mojo Mom Podcast. I'll start reaching out to her when I get home from vacation. She's a terrific writer who is based in Australia, and I wish we heard from her more here in the US.

In the meantime, I can recommend The Price of Privilege to any Mom who is honsest enough to identify with some of what Helen Kirwan-Taylor has to say. It's a terrific new book for all of us, actually, and you read my detailed review on Amazon.com. I hope to have the author Dr. Madeline Levine on my podcast as well this fall. I'm getting ready to gear up for the new season!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home