Friday, June 27, 2008

Mojo Mom Podcast: Opting In


We are fortunate to have Feminist.com columnist and Opting In author Amy Richards join us on The Mojo Mom Podcast this week.

The conversation about motherhood and feminism continues. First Amy and Sheryl tackle the topic, reflecting on life at the intersection of feminism and reality.

Then Mojo Mom continues the conversation with Amy Richards, author of "Opting In: Having A Child without Losing Yourself."


The date of our iPod giveaway is coming upon us much faster than we expected. The drawing is on July 1, so listen to the show to find out how to enter. I'd venture to say you'll never find better odds of winning a 4GB iPod Nano.

Looks like we're taking off next week for July 4, but we'll be back with a new show on Friday, July 11.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, that cover sets back breastfeeding progress at least a decade or so.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It coud be breastmilk in the bottle. At least that was my thought.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not make each other – or anyone – the enemy.

8:33 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

I agree with Karen...in fact that is what I am writing about this weekend.

I also know that authors rarely get to specify or even have final approval over their cover design, so it would typically be the publisher's call.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen said...
Let's not make each other – or anyone – the enemy.


I wasn't aware my comment did that. And I did know that authors usually can't choose their cover. I didn't blame the author (or actually anyone) for the cover. I just think it's unfortunate no matter what's in the bottle.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the author I can testify that I didn't get to choose the cover, but in the end I was happy with the design. It certainly has weaknesses -- though I assumed more to do with the image slanting the book exclusively to mothers of infant children and also how to be inclusive to mothers and father and even be inviting to those who aren't parents yet. And funny, the one request I made on the final design was that they feminize the hand a bit -- the original was more androgynous and also more angry. I don't fear either of those things, but I did fear it given that others already think that I shouldn't be a mother since I am also a "baby killer" -- i.e. someone who has an abortion. And as someone who breastfed exclusively (pumped milk included) that certainly is my bias, but also one I wouldn't assume others had to have. Also, as an aside, the thought of a breastfeeding image would sadly appear so odd to many folks and more sexual than maternal. But that's only mentioned as an argument for more comfort around breastfeeding --- thanks Amy

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home