Friday, January 05, 2007

On Mojo Mom's bookshelf


When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you housework....make a blog posting out of it!

This morning I spent a couple of hours getting our house back to "normal" after the holidays. This means that the kitchen is clean, the dining rooom table is one-third cleared off, and my office, well, it's still a mess but that's a project for another day.

As I moved through the house, I picked up the books that were lying around everywhere. As I looked at the stack I thought it made an interesting collection, a snapshot of what is "in play" at the Tiemann household.

It's hard to keep up with all my reading and reviewing, so I am going to list the books and link to them. Most of the books are mine, some are review copies, some are my husband or daughter's. A few are Christmas presents. I will let you guess which are which!

Looks like I will have to break this into 2 parts. Here's the left-hand stack:

Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn

Thinking Points by George Lakoff

Optical Illusions by Al Seckel

The Other Side of War by Zainab Salbi

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Saving Graces by Elizabeth Edwards

Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius by Angeline Stoll Lillard

Never Check Email in the Morning by Julie Morgenstern

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel

The Female Thing by Laura Kipnis

The Opt-Out Revolt by Lisa Maniero and Sherry Sullivan

4 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

I LOOVVED Mountain Beyond Mountains! Also, D. loved the Clare MEssud book! I'm trying to put together my own list of reads this year -- right now Special Topics in Calamity Physics. Is that one your recommended before?

8:30 AM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Yes, I do recommend Special Topics in Calamity Physics. The book was somewhat maddening but wholly original.

I blogged about the book last August, with spoilers allowed in the comments section.

8:22 AM  
Blogger d said...

I can't say how many times I have read Ishmael. No matter where I'm at, or what I'm thinking about reading that puts my head on straight - or at least facing a new direction.

Dom
http://dominic.ebacher.googlepages.com/

11:22 AM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

I just bought Ishmael for my husband as a Christmas gift. It's jumping to the top of the pile as our next-read.

Your comments are a great way to help us prioritize what to read next! PunditMom, Mountains Beyond Mountains is on my short list as well.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home