Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Is there a holiday opt-out button?


Is there a a "holiday opt-out" button? I wish it were that easy.....

I am all for family time and counting my blessings. I like to think I am pretty good at that year-round. But the pressure of the holidays is just too much this year. The forced public celebration is turning my stomach. Maybe it's the incongruity of mall-tide Christmas Carols playing over a background roar of news of the war. In any case, I am not in the mood to feel cheerful on someone else's schedule!

This has been a tough year for our family with the loss of several dear relatives and health challenges for others. It's the first year I have really understood what a burden the holidays can be for people who are having a hard time. I have had just a taste of that....enough to get the idea. I definitley don't feel like chatting about "So, are you ready for the holidays?" one more time.

I am trying to summon up genuine good cheer for my family. It's mainly the wrapping, decorating, and resulting mess that are in my way right now. I brought the Christmas decorations down from the attic but only put a few of them up. I cleaned out the garage earlier this week and that added a bit more chaos into the house. As a housewife I give myself a D-, which is not a great feeling. I know I never applied for that job, but many of the "hearth & home" tasks fall on my plate whether I am good at them or not.

Ack, I am wallowing! I will visualize myself kicking back, having a glass of wine with all UnMartyred Mom and Pundit Mom, whom I am sure would tell me it's really okay to let the expectations go...and sit back and enjoy whatever genuine happiness shows up to play.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I felt so in tune with what you wrote today, but not for the same reasons. Our family has actually had an amazingly happy year and I don't feel the need to "do it up" this year for the holidays. We have already been blessed with wonderful new children, a fabulous and secure home and a very healthy family.

I resent the "purchase frenzy" that has come over everyone lately and the mall-magnet that sucks away everyone's time.

We have had a wonderfully warm winter here in NC this year and I am sick that I spent much of it inside worrying about the holidays instead of sitting on my deck with friends and a gin & tonic.

There has got to be more to the holiday season that this.

9:20 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

For me it's the "performance" aspect that drives me crazy, combined with the commercial frenzy.

Is it realistic to think we'll ever all be jolly at the same time? There isn't much built in to the process to allow reflection and real feeling. I am trying to see the holiday through my daughter's eyes, because celebrating Christmas sure was fun as a little kid.

9:49 PM  
Blogger PunditMom said...

MojoMom, I'd LOVE to have that glass of wine together. I feel I am in the same boat, tho' I know I need to let go of the expectations.

I want to have holidays and rituals for R., but all I want to do is hole up in the house in front of the fireplace with some hot chocolate (or that wine!). For me, it's hard to be in a "holiday" spirit when my memories are from joyous, overcrowded Christmases at my grandpareent's house and I find myself in a palce where my family (both of origin and by marriage) all have some excuse for not visiting -- it's too far, I have to work the next day, why don't you come here (which we always do).

Sigh. I'm going to let it go today and go make gingerbread houses w/ R.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home