Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A working vacation Up North

Life, work, and play are all combining this week as my family is on vacation in Northern Michigan. It is beautiful up here, and such welcome relief from 104 degrees in North Carolina. (Here a heat wave means its 88 degrees and you just jump in the lake.) When I say family vacation, I mean FAMILY VACATION as we are gathered at my grandfather's house with 26 aunts, uncles, and cousins. We come here every year, and I feel like we've really turned a corner this year now that my daughter is almost 6. She can run around with much less supervision, and the little cousins (7 kids ages 6 and under) are totally interactive and playing together.

Yet more proof that parenting does get easier! It was so hard to watch her here when she was a toddler.

I am combining work with play this week as I do two book events. Today I am signing books at McLean & Eakin Booksellers in Petoskey from 1 to 3 pm. Then on Saturday, August 6th, I'll be speaking at Horizon Books in Traverse City from 3 to 5 pm. This is part of my worldwide "opportunistic book tour." I can't leave home for a long tour, so I am setting up events wherever I go on my family's travels. So far they've been fine with it, though it feels really weird to have work responsibilities up here.

My day was made yesterday when I walked into McLean & Eakin and saw a woman buying my book! I hope we can turn out a crowd today and Saturday.

1 Comments:

Blogger MojoMom said...

Now THAT is a small world. We really are all connected. I love it up here and I had a great event today at McLean & Eakin. They were so nice and gracious to take a chance on me as a new author. A great crowd came through the store this afternoon, some to see me, and some who were there browsing but still bought copies of my book.

Thanks for writing, Amy.

P. S. I have met more "Amys" through this project than I could have believed possible, including another very nice Amy at the event today who is my biggest new supporter!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home