Saturday, June 25, 2005

Mojo Mom on her own

I woke up this morning at 6 am in a panic. My stomach was churning uncomfortably, and there has been a wave of summer illness traveling through our neighborhood. Michael was in California, on his way to Singapore, and my Mom was about to pull out of her driveway to head to Michigan.

Up to that point I had been reconciled to two weeks of solo parenting, but the thought of pulling that off if I was sick was a challenge I hadn't counted on. I woke up, collected myself, ate breakfast, and realized I was going to be okay.

My hat is off to single mothers who manage through difficult times. Every woman needs and deserves support, and I have seen women come together in marvelous ways.

As for myself and my daughter over these two weeks, I can see how this time together will be good for us. I am calling around to see who else is "home alone" with her kids, and I've set up several dates for outings or dinner. When school is out I find that I have to make more of an effor to see my friends who I run into daily during the school year. So the flip side to the challenge of being alone is getting us out to see each other.

Even so, I am sure that sometime during the next two weeks I will feel more like a Desperate Housewife than a Mojo Mom. My gauge to see how low I go to find family entertainment is whether I get desperate enough to take my daughter to see "Herbie: Fully Loaded," which looks perfectly awful but would provide two hours of air-conditioned distraction.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Peskowitz said...

Good luck Amy! And don't forget to call a babysitter to give yourself a break if you need it. And if you sink low, do let us know if Herbie's at all decent for the kids--that would be a real public service!

Miriam
www.playgroundrevolution.com

9:52 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Hi Miriam,

Thanks for the support. We are doing amazingly well so far--we still have a week to go. I have been using babysitters and my daughter has really enjoyed the attention from the teenagers who have been sitting for her.

As an alternative to "Herbie the Love Bug," I think we're going to see the movie "Mad Hot Ballroom" this weekend.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home