Friday, April 08, 2005

Moms at the tipping point

Just as all of the trees in North Carolina burst into bloom on the same day, the idea of women identifying and dealing with the challenges of motherhood has suddenly reached the tipping point. In addition to "Perfect Madness" by Judith Warner, this spring as I have prepared to launch "Mojo Mom," I have seen several other books on motherhood springing up.

"The Truth Behind the Mommy Wars" by Miriam Peskowitz examines the supposed divide between stay-at-home Moms and working Moms and thankfully concludes that not only is there more cooperation than we're led to believe, but these categories are much more flexible that we hear about in the media. Check out her excellent blog, Playground Revolution.

I have the opportunity to hear her speak at a local bookstore tonight and I'm really looking forward to it. I have read the first chapter of her book and I feel like we're on the same wavelength.

Also coming out this spring are "Because I Said So: 33 Mothers Write About Children, Sex, Men, Aging, Faith, Race & themselves" an anthology by the editors of "Mothers Who Think;" and "It's My Pleasure: A Revolutionary Plan to free Yourself From Guilt, Find Your True Self, and Create the Life You Want" by mother-daughter team Maria and Maya Rodale.

I can't wait to read "It's My Pleasure" because it really sounds like it echoes one of my favorite themes from "Mojo Mom." That is, take good care of yourself and have fun because you are WORTH IT, not just because it will make you a better Mom (though I heartily believe it will do that, too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home