Thursday, January 29, 2009

So many brain/decision books

Here's a trendlet I have noticed lately--brain books about how we make decisions.

It reads like a cultural prescription for a cure to our country's GW Bush ("The Decider") hangover.

How We Decide by Jonah Lerher caught my eye because it has three different flavors of ice cream cones on the cover, and I have found that is a deeply ingrained example of "choice"--it just keeps coming up as an example. (Which also explains to me why the concept of "choice" is a weak label for really important things such as reproductive rights; but that's a full post for another day).

People who bought How We Decide could also choose from Blunder: Why Smart People Make Bad Decisions, Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions, The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives, Sway: The Irrestistible Pull of Irrational Behavior, and Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness.

Are we a people in search of certainty, or what? And is this the new self-help?

In this genre (tangentially related, at least) the book I am most likely to actually read is Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success, which I have heard is entertaining, if anecdotal.

Hmmm, I've got that Ph. D. in Neuroscience. How can I spin Mojo Mom as a brain-based decision-making book...? There is a chapter on "Reclaiming Your Mind Space."

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

Could I be considered part of the trendlet with my recent post, titled "Indecisive?"

http://www.liveandletdi.com/my_weblog/2009/01/indecisive.html

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home