Monday, January 05, 2009

My mind is buzzing this New Year

Happy New Year everyone! As a Mom, I had a great holiday break. Today is our first day of school so it feels like the first normal day of the New Year. Fortunately, I like my work, so "normal" is a good thing.

We have big plans a-brewing at MojoMom.com. At the end of this week we'll start counting down the days to the April 7 release of the new edition of Mojo Mom. Stay tuned for more details coming soon....

As far as New Year's Resolutions go, I want to recommend a book we should all read or re-read: The Lifelong Activist by Hillary Rettig. Being a Mom is a lot like being an artist or activist, and Rettig helps us creative types avoid burnout and act effectively. Activists run into many of the self-sacrifice issue that really affect Moms, so I could insert the word "Mom" into much of Rettig's advice, and it made perfect sense. Highly recommended.

My mind is buzzing today, so I'll go off on one more tangent: Heba Salama, a successful contestant from The Biggest Loser, lives in my area and she was featured in today's Raleigh News & Observer, rocking some hot jeans. She is now size 10 and weighs a healthy 150 pounds. She started at 294 pounds in early 2008 and she and her husband wanted to get healthy before starting a family. I mention that because not only does she look great, and so ebullient, but how many of us are sitting here feeling "not skinny enough" at 150 pounds, instead of appreciating what we have? My resolution is to be kind to my body this year, to treat it well. I try to exercise each day, but if I get out of my routine, the most important thing is to do what I can, little by little, not worrying that I have failed if I miss a day.

How can you be kinder to yourself in 2009?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger MojoMom said...

Hey, Party People, I just wrote an official review of The Lifelong Activist on Amazon.com.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Amy@UWM said...

Thanks for another recommendation. I still haven't gotten through the other books you recommended yet! BTW, LOVING "Opting Out" which I won in a giveaway on this site.

I will be kinder to myself by fixing some things in my life that have really taken a toll. Wrote about it here.

http://upwithmoms.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-ones-gotta-stick.html

10:36 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Hi Amy, I am so glad you are appreciating Opting Out? It's one of the most important motherhood books of the past several years.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home