Monday, October 15, 2007

Back home, but not fully awake

I'm home, but walking around in a fog. This was my first day back at "work" but I put in the quotes because I never got to the work I needed to do for myself. Now, at 7:05 pm, I am sneaking in a quick blog post after dinner and before bedtime. That and a scan of my emails and phone messages is just about all I tick off my to-do list today

How would a productivity expert such as Julie Morgenstern or David Allen categorize a to-do list that includes so many "life" issues that there is no time left for "work?"

How do I categorize today's tasks like picking up a dead mole off the driveway with a shovel to throw it over the wall? Dropping off a neighbor's mis-delivered newspaper? Having lunch with my Dad and allowing it to stretch to an hour and a half because we hadn't seen each other in a month? Dealing with a school mini-crisis that couldn't wait?

While we were traveling, the days seemed so long, with a new city to explore and no responsibilities other than keeping the family entertained. I marveled at how much ground we could cover in eight hours. I feel like to get back to my own important projects, I need to somehow combine that away from household responsibilities mode with focused work.

I'll keep this short because I know I am rambling. I am tempted not to publish this but I might as well show you what a low mojo day looks like.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So relieved to know that you go low, too.

12:47 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

I am so glad you took the time to post a comment saying that this post had an iota of value, even in just exposing my weakness, because I can't tell you how tempted I was to hit "delete" on it last night. The reality was, I was feeling like I did not have my act together yet, even to write.

Later this afternoon I plan to post a cogent set of new thoughts related to my trip.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How would a productivity expert such as Julie Morgenstern or David Allen categorize a to-do list that includes so many "life" issues that there is no time left for "work?""

First of all -- who cares?

I mean, I love those experts -- can site them chapter and verse -- but really isn't that question really your inner critic telling you that you haven't been productive enough in the last few days.

Second, I think they would say "Good for you" Even the 'productivity experts' say that its not ALL about being productive all the time and that over the span of several months -- not to mention your WHOLE LIFE -- some travel time, followed by some transition time back into "regular" life all balances out with the other terrific stuff you 'produce' regularly.

And this post DOES have value - if only to give us a window into your life and help us all feel a little more normal!

HUGS! Sarah Z

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home