Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Mojo Mom on The Today Show



You asked for it--Here's the clip from my Today Show appearance with Lisa Belkin, Leslie Bennetts, and Gail Saltz.

The conversation about women's lifelong career paths continued on May 18 when Lisa Belkin returned to talk with Sylvia Ann Hewlett to discuss "Women and the Glass Ceiling." Hewlett has a new book out, Off-Ramps and On-Ramps: Keeping Talented Women on the Road to Success. I'll dive in to that next week.

This week I am still immersed in Pamela Stone's research into the lives of opt-out mothers. Stone presents these women's voices and her own analytical insights in her book Opting Out? Her results are more nuanced than the "did we jump or were we pushed out?" soundbites you'll hear so often, even used to summarize her book. I had many a-ha moments in reading Opting Out? and Stone's findings have persuaded me to view the tradeoffs of being a stay-at-home Mom in a new light. Pamela Stone will join me later this week on the May 25 episode of The Mojo Mom Podcast, so be sure to listen in on our conversation.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo Amy. More proof that the media can't handle conciliation, mediation, the middle zone, but only "for and against" and "this versus that." Once again, making peace is not a story; making war is.

3:32 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Thanks, Karen. I have tried to mediate my differences with L. Bennetts with integrity and I feel that I have for the most part succeeded. I have a genuine professional disagreement with her and it is an interesting process for me to claim that space without backing down to "be nice." But at the same time, I also want to bridge the divisions between women, get on the same page, and work together for common goals.

TV presents a real challenge--it's so spontaneous and quick. I am more comfortable with the more reflective process of writing, or the chance to have an extended conversation on radio. But this was a fantastic opportunity that I am most grateful for.

4:03 PM  
Blogger PunditMom said...

You go, girl! That was great! I loved your position!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home