Saturday, December 15, 2007

Can baby gadgets worsen New Mom burnout?

This morning I wrote my most "Mojo Mom" post yet over on my CNET blog, asking whether the crazy marketing messages and promises of high-tech baby gadgets leave new Moms even more vulnerable to burnout, when their actual experience doesn't live up to the marketing hype. I'd be really interested to know what you think, either from a comment here or over at (parent.thesis).

Here is the ad for the BabyPlus "prenatal education system" that I am critiquing. I am sure you'll agree it gives us a lot to talk about:


It's been a real challenge to write over at CNET as well as Mojo Mom but I feel like I've hit my stride. Our CNET blog reached almost 100,000 people in November, which is a fantastic writing opportunity for me. I am enjoying the opportunity to talk about the social implications of tech developments under the umbrella of parenting and technology.

So what do you think? Is it any wonder that new parent develop unrealistic expectations after 9 months of exposure to marketing pitches like this one?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely, this sort of thing contributes to a sort of caregiving mania followed by burnout. Products like these prey upon our insecurities. This ad in particular makes me want to barf.

11:06 AM  
Blogger A. Lin said...

Looking at that ad makes me hope that the ultrasound is wrong and the baby is a girl. Then the house of cards would come tumbling down.

The truth of the matter is, you can do everything the experts say, but there is no guarantee of a perfect child. This ad is so unrealistic. As a mother of two with one more on the way, I want to barf, too--and it is not from morning sickness.

2:21 AM  
Blogger help4newmoms said...

When I read a. lin's comment, I had a little iced tea in my mouth and it almost came out of my nose, I laughed so hard. Good One. That ad is not only pedantic, it is offensive. Like new mothers don't have enough pressure to do right by their unborn babies! Ugh!

Amy, great CNET blog, really enjoyed it!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

What a zany idea. As if the natural environmental sounds aren't enough. Can they actually be selling this product and making money? In our consumer culture we are taught by such ads that spending a dollar or twenty or a thousand is all you need to do to have a "perfect" life. Thanks, but no - I prefer my life to be what it is without the gadgets.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home