Thursday, November 16, 2006

Breastfeeding -- the start of a longer conversation


I had my mind blown today when I was invited to attend a lunch discussion on breastfeeding that was hosted by activist Ginger Sall. Over a dozen people from diverse areas met to learn about the blueprint to encourage breastfeeding by North Carolina mothers.

I will find time for a longer post later but I am posting now to say that it's ironic to attend this discussion on the same day that I read the news that a woman was ordered to leave a Delta-owned airline flight because she refused to cover her daughter with a blanket while breastfeedig her.

I was shocked by this news and equally dismayed by the unsympathetic, snarky comments posted by blog readers at BloggingBaby. (I appreciated J. D. Griffioen's post--but some of the respondent's comments were horrible.) I really don't get people who have a problem with breastfeeding in public. Our society is out of touch with nature, families, and reality! We mothers should absolutely not settle for the crumbs of being barely tolerated.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I just don't get it. Even before I was a mother I never GOT the issue. It is natural!

I shouldn't say I don't get it, becuase I do. Sexuality, women being viewed as objects, and ignorance all play a factor. Ever since I became comfortable with breastfeeding I didn't seek opportunities out to breastfed my child in public, but I didn't shy away from them either. I wanted other women, other mothers, other soon to be mothers, to see me breastfeeding. I wanted them to know that it is ok to do it, that there was someone else out there willing doing it too. My hope, the more we see it, the more accepting our society will become and I was just trying to do my part.

With all that said, I was recently in a room with public health professionals who on the sign behind them is a "Why You Should Breastfeed" sign, who were offened that I fed my on year old. Of course I hear about this much later from my friend who said they expressed disbelief that I didn't have more shame, couldn't go into the bathroom. WHAT??? These are the very individuals promoting the importance of breastfeeding, but then have an issue when it happens infront of them.

6:18 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Obxmom, you've put your finger on it--SHAME is the weapon being used against us here. It is such a destructive, almost subterranian emotion because it turns the wagging, silencing finger to point back onto ourselves as though we are the problem.

How would co-workers feel if we suggested holding our next group lunch meeting in the bathroom?

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home