Saturday, October 21, 2006

Quick movie review: "The Prestige"

I had a rare night on my own last night and I went to see The Prestige. I woke up this morning still thinking about it. It's one of those movies that feels like a twisty laybryinth while you are watching it, but afterward all sorts of a-ha moments keep coming together.

This is one of those films that you really don't want to know too much about before you see it. I suggest skipping over lengthy reviews and feature articles until you've seen it. Here's all you need to know to make sure you are in the right theater: it is one of the two "rival magicians in the turn of the 20th century" movies out right now, and this is the one starring Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. It is directed by Christopher Nolan, who created the atmospheric Batman Begins and the mind-bending, truly revolutionary Memento .

So go see The Prestige and then for extra enjoyment go watch Memento on DVD. In many ways, The Presitge is a hybrid of Nolan's two best-known previous films. It has Batman Begins' gorgeous atmospheric brooding, not to mention star Christian Bale, and takes you on a journey almost as mind-bending as Memento. Once again, Christopher Nolan has teamed up as director to bring to life a screenplay written by his brother Jonathan, adapting Christopher Priest's 1997 novel.

The Prestige has its faults, including the fact that Scarlett Johanssen's character just sort of leaves the story and is never heard from again, but I think in the long run this will be seen as one of the most creatively successful movies of 2006.

2 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

I loved Memento! So I will no definitely see this one. Too bad about Scarlett Johannsen... I think she's wonderful.

Have you seen her in Lost in Translation? One of my favorite movies.

9:57 AM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

I hate horror movies. "The Prestige" is on the eerie side, but no ax-wielding horror involved.

That reminds me of the preview of "The Sixth Sense" which I found to be so incredibly creepy that I didn't see the movie until about a year later.

"The Sixth Sense" and "Memento" are two of my favorite screenplays all time.

Pundimom, I like Scarlett Johannson and I saw "Lost in Translation" but to be honest, it didn't make a lasting impression on me.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home