Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Listen to the Manic Mommies Podcast: "Can we get the X back in sex?"

Here's some good synchronicity with my effort to encourage you to give podcast listening a try. The Manic Mommies recently produced a really fantastic show interviewing author Esther Perel, who wrote the provocative new book Mating in Captivity.

Esther Perel's work is all about how to keep erotic love alive in the midst of marriage and parenthood. Hearing her speak, I felt a real Mojo connection. We are actually talking about the same thing in many ways, that what is lacking in the lives of parents is a creative spark, erotic love and focus on all kinds of pleasure: pleasing and enjoying being ourselves as well as part of a couple.

It boils down to the idea that is at the core of my work as well: Moms need to be able to save some of our energy and time to invest back into our own lives. We deserve to be well cared for and to have fun, both with and separate from our families.

The Manic Mommies interview was very well-done and informative. Erin and Kristen's show is a great example of a podcast that has a grassroots-Mom feel and is also very professionally made. Follow the episode link Can we get the X back in sex? to access their show and links to more of Esther Perel's work and media coverage.

My Podcast FAQ with expanded links has been permanently added to my podcast page for your quick reference. It will tell you how to get started listening to podcasts.

As a trend-spotter, I will say that I am just now feeling the tide roll slightly back from the incredibly child-centered nature of our culture, enough to let adults give themselves permission to have a life separate from their roles as Mom and Dad. I think we are reaching a tipping point on this one.

6 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

MojoMom, I sure hope you are right on your trend-spotting. While I delight (most of the time!) in the time I spend with my daughter, my husband and I both feel that our parenting duties and way of life have been a drain on our, um, "private time!"

I will definitely check out The Manic Mommies.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will definitely check out the podcast. Thanks for the recommendation. I have not been able to get into the Manic Mommies Podcast so have recently taken it off my list.

On a related note, did you hear the recent report on NPR's Day to Day about families sharing duties at home? It weighs in on this discussion with surpirse that parents are able to spend more time with their children. This is even more interesting with another story on the show talking about extreme commuting.

If you have not check out the link http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6290779.

11:57 AM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Punditmom, it's just a small change I sense, but a significant one. The first step is to give ourselves permission to have a life and maintain relationships separate from our child. Then change becomes possible.

I was reading "Mating in Captivity" this morning and Esther Perel said that many times couples schedule sex out of their lives, placing it as a low priority behind house care and the like. At that point they basically never get around it it any more. For all of us who think "scheduling sex in" is unromantic, doing so is much better than not maintaining that relationship at all.

12:34 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Obxmom, thanks for your comment, which inspired today's blog posting.

MojoMom: Women don't live a simple 24-hour day

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mojo Mom...I struggled as to whether to post *again* about the Manic Mommies podcast, but I had too.

First off, I tried and tried really hard to like the Manic Mommies podcast. I appreciate the kudos you give them. But from one avid podcast listener their podcast does not compare to yours. Yes, in my opinon, their podcast "sounds" techinally professional, but the giggling and bantering is uninteresting. I just don't find it engaging. When you and your co-host Cheryl touch base, you tend to relate it to the show or finding your mojo. I don't know if that is deliberate, but it is much more engaging than general bantering about what your day was like. Relating your day to finding or maintaining your mojo is why I tune in.

I am glad that the Manic Mommies have found an audience, and they as no podcaster will, will ever speak to everyone, but I wanted to give you your kudos for sticking to the essence of what you are trying to convey through your book and your website; being true to mojo mom.


With all that said, I really enjoyed the topic and again appreciate your recommending it.

On to read today's post.

9:09 PM  
Blogger MojoMom said...

Hi Obxmom,

Thanks for the compliment and the Mojo Mom Podcast shout-out. The Manic Mommies are different type of show. They are more comfortable with the "friends chatting over coffee" segments than I am. Their Esther Perel segment did knock my socks off.

The Manic Mommies hosted me for a visit in Boston and they are wonderful people, so I am glad there is room for both of our shows.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home