Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Hitting the gym, and my first responsibility-free vacation in 10 years

To write the new Mojo Mom, I had to chain myself to my computer for nine months. That got the book done, but the problem is now that I don't want to present it to the world looking like someone who has been sitting at her desk for the better part of a year. Getting my appendix out in September meant that I couldn't exercise strenuously for about eight weeks. I know many people who broke that rule and did fine, but I also know some who pushed it and got really sick, so I decided to take it seriously.

But now I have to go from cubicle jockey/couch potato to Mojo Mom, and I have to say getting my engines revving is an important part of getting my mojo back. I am starting out by walking, then playing tennis, and I am finally reluctantly hitting the exercise machine. I also realized I have to put down the potato chips--bad Super Bowl habit!

My husband is out of town, which means I am walking our dog four times a day myself. A little mandatory self-improvement plan. Our active canine fuzzball is an important member of our family, and the only piece of exercise equipment you can't leave in the closet.

For me, I am finding that a life of balance means balance over the long run. I am accustomed to seasons of intense creative work punctuated by seasons focused more on family life. I feel very fortunate to have a career and a family who enable me to go back and forth between the two.

And yesterday I found out that I will have my first responsibility-free vacation in ten years! My daughter will be attending a week-long summer camp, and I will be nearby at my favorite retreat with other family members, but without my husband or daughter, for a whole week. This is the special summer place where I could spend hours on the dock alternating between reading a book and swimming. To be honest, I am a little afraid that I have lost that part of my being. I don't know what I'll do with myself for that much free time. I hope I will connect with my writing muse, as free exploration and not work. It will be really interesting to see what comes up.

Believe me, I am not complaining. I don't want the rest of the family to think they have to put me to work around the house!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home