Thursday, December 27, 2007

Leonard Cohen "Anthem;" "Eat, Pray, Love"

I found the quote I was looking for! In an Amazon.com reader review for Eat, Pray, Love, a reader mentioned Leonard Cohen's song "Anthem," with the lyric:

There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.


I find it highly ironic that Eat, Pray, Love indirectly led me to this lyric. I've struggled mightily with this book. Two of my favorite people (my husband and my aunt) found it highly meaningful, and gave it to me. I didn't really connect with Elizabeth Gilbert's journey or her writing. I found her writing to be strangely dispassionate for someone writing about a sensory/spiritual journey. Then again, I thought maybe everything that I didn't like about her was a projection of what I deep down don't like about myself. Maybe I am afraid that I am a whiny narcissist who thinks that the world revolves around my personal journey. (I hate to say it, but that was my primary response to Gilbert's story.) In that sense, it was reassuring that my husband really liked the book--he should be able to put up with me!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home