Thursday, September 07, 2006

Nominate your favorite "Mom Crush"


I hadn't had a crush on a celebrity since high school. Remember the cute guys from the 1980's--Tom Selleck, Harrison Ford? I can embarrassingly pinpoint the onset of puberty by the exact moment that my crush on Luke Skywalker morphed into a crush on Han Solo. After that the drama of real life took over. I am not sure if it's because at this point in life it's a fun distraction, or because I have a great friend to swoon with, but crushes are back on my radar. As a Mom, I think we've all been there at one time or another. You're watching Zoboomafoo and compared to the other PBS stars--puppet, animated or otherwise--the Kratt brothers start to look pretty good.

Here's my list of nominations for the top Mom Crushes. Who would you add? If we get enough nominations I'll set up a poll and we can vote.

Jon Stewart,The Daily Show
Steve Carell, the actor, not his character on The Office
John Krasinski, Jim on The Office
The Kratt Brothers, Zoboomafoo
Matthew Fox, Dr. Jack Shephard on Lost
Patrick Dempsey, Dr. Derek Shepherd, aka Dr. McDreamy on Grey's Anatomy (hey, what's with ABC dramas and hot male doctors named Dr. Shepherd?)
Isaiah Washington, Dr. Preston Burke on Grey's Anatomy

(Lost and Grey's Anatomy could have their own subdirectories. Any Sawyer or George fans out there?)

What makes a good Mom Crush? It seems to me that there is an element of vulnerability that I find attractive now that I didn't appreciate when I was younger. Jon Stewart and John Krasinski are the most puppy-dog-adorable men ever.

Also important is total unattainability. Unlike say, The Freebie List on Friends, this is totally a romatic, platonic ideal. If you meet anyone on the Mom Crush list they are disqualified.

My fellow fanatic Sheryl Grant and I are going to see Jon Stewart perform in Boston in October, but we're up in the nosebleed balcony, so I think our chances of actually meeting him are nil. And yes, we are already excited!

3 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

I loved the freebie list, altho' in our household, we only each get one. Mine? John Cusack.

We're seeing Jon Stewart in D.C. in a couple of weeks ...I'll do my best to avoid meeting him so he doesn't call off the list! :)

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to go with Matthew Fox from Lost. I, too, look for something totally different now that I am older.

7:30 AM  
Blogger PunditMom said...

Jon Stewart's show was GREAT! No worries ... we were all the way back in row NN!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home